"Chronicling the insane, mundane, urbane, migraine, and general mirthless mis-adventures of all things SURFACE!"





Sunday, September 2, 2007

"HOLY SHIT! I'm middle aged!"


On this very day in the maternity ward of the Snohomish County(Washington) Hospital I drew my first breath...in 1964....43 years ago! "AHHHHHHHHHHH!"
No I am not having a mid-life crisis, I think one has to have a life to begin with to have a crisis, and before you think this is the senseless ramblings of yet another artist gone mad...think again.
Normally I don't give my birthdays much thought but this one does have some personal significance, the main one being of surprise that I am still upright and kicking strongly.
There are a few birthdays that mean something to a guys life, of course 13 is a magic number which begins the slow confusing, and often nightmarish 7 year period of the average teenager.
20 is the number that starts you up the path of adulthood while 40 gets you over "the hump"of life which brings me to my present and fairly recent state of 43.
I have a full year to experience what its going to be like to be a 43 year old male human being.
Deep within the small cavity that contains myself ,my identity, I am an ageless soul stuck in a perpetual loop that keeps me ever young while the outside world and the ravages of nature take their toll on my rather large but frail mortal form.
At 43 I still have my health despite a few annoying pings and pangs here and there, but more importantly, as an artist, I still have a reasonably clear mind and my hands ,albeit a bit arthritic at times.
At 43 I have few friends, I'm not the most outgoing of individuals, infact at times I can be downright anti-social, but the friends I do have are "keepers" ones that I can truly trust, without question, and in todays world that is rare indeed.
At 43 I find myself single and with no kids, like I said before I am not the most outgoing of individuals...plus last I heard Salma Hayek is getting married and is with child so why bother?
At 43 as a professional I am sort of pleased where I am at present, I can live off my talent as an artist/illustrator which is one of the goals I have always dreamed of having. My plate is 75% full at the moment with plans on filling it even more in the near future, so at the moment I am content.
What's next ,well 44 of course, but that's a long ways away yet, but with the grace of GOD and a little luck and a lot of ca$h, this time next year; September 3, 2008 will see the debut of my first creator owned project, something I have been working on for some time now.
I could tell you all about it now but the tiny little paranoid schitzophrenic in me screams at me when I threaten to spill my guts....patience is a virtue, one that will hopefully ,in the end, will pay off...BIG!
To all 43 year olds out there, you have my sympathies, to the "youngins" who are yet to be 43, "fear not that which is inevitable."
To those 43 and older, hope to see your numbers soon and join your club.
Now I know what your thinking, what can I get this poor bastard for a birthday gift?
I'll make it sickiningly simple...7 simple words; "In leiu of flowers, please send cash!"
-just kidding-PEACE ;)

-Shawn Surface
SURFACE ART STUDIOS.

1 comment:

Craig Zablo said...

Happy, Happy! [As my old buddy Jim Ivey would say -- he's 82 and spry as ever]