"Chronicling the insane, mundane, urbane, migraine, and general mirthless mis-adventures of all things SURFACE!"





Thursday, September 13, 2007

"the Last Con".....of 2007!


The final convention,at least for me, of the year is fastly approaching....and I can't wait!

The Orlando Comic-Con, only in it's second year is still suffering from growing pains but has attracted some impressive names to it's ever growing guest list including; Bill Tucci(Shi), Lenil Frances Yu(X-Men), Mario Gully(Ant,Totem), and the legendary Nick Cardy(Teen Titans,Bat Lash).I was thrilled to hear that it was expanding it's stay for three days only to find out, much to my disappointment that it is ,in actuality, really two days. Big names in the business like the gents I mentioned above can coast on a short con like this one, hell even one dayers would be ok with these guys, but small timers like myself plus a number of burgeoning indie creators struggling to get a foothold in the biz ,a short con can be a disaster....luckily for me on this one...I don't have to travel far, it's just a thirty minute drive from my humble lil' studios.

I will, as I usually do, ply my trade as artist at the event, creating on the spot custom commissions for any and all interested while at the same time spreading the word of, "the Shawn", handing out my lil' glossy business cards hoping silently that I'll get a nibble from a potential client or better yet a future employer. But honestly if it helps circulate my name and my studios, and in turn attracts more visitors to me and my site it will be a successful con.

I would like to be on the level of a Adam Hughes, or a Michael Turner, or a Jim Lee whose mere presence at a con guarantees them a hefty check at the end of the weekend...but as always, I'll patiently bide my time for I seek not fame nor fortune, only the chance to live comfortably and securely by my art...that and to win the lotto if only once!

The Orlando Comic-Con starts this coming September 21st-23rd here in the great "land of the Rat", Orlando ,Florida. For any interested in attending the event you can find out more about it at; http://www.orlandocon.net/.

I will be available for commissions, I charge pretty low at $20.oo a pop for a single character, more characters may cost you more. Plus I will have some of my color prints available for sale.

For this years con I have created an exclusive souvenir poster which you see pictured here, it measures approximately 11x17 on semi glossy stock.

I go in with optimistic eyes, I was at last years inaugural event and to put it nicely...."I tanked"!

Hope to see some of you fans down there, if only to stop by and say "Hi".

I will be posting a report on the convention after it's completion...so hopefully something juicy will happen, like a "Tommy Lee/Kid Rock" throwdown, at some of these things peoples egos do tend to get the better of them at times, but alas, I have only noticed these lil' flare ups at the big Wizard World events.

Well......hope springs eternal!

-talk with you later kids,

Peace

Shawn Surface

SURFACE ART STUDIOS.

4 comments:

Craig Zablo said...

See you there.

Kelly J. Crawford said...

Shawn, I'm looking for an artist and I like what I've seen of your work. I need someone to draw a 20-22 page full color comic (three of them, actually) based on the scripts I'm co-writing with Jeff Mariotte (Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Supernatural). You're just a wee bit on the expensive side but I'm going to keep you at/near the top of my list, anyway.

Details can be found HERE on the Image Comics MB. Look for posts from "ShowbizPRgirl" talking about The Black Tower. That's me.

Let's keep in touch! :-)

KJC (a fellow single middle-ager who's desperate to get noticed in the industry)

The Man said...

Hi Kelly,
Thanks for writing...glad you liked my work, always uplifting when one recieves positive feedback for his/her work.
Appreciate the interest, really.
I am basically a penciller although I do dabble in inks and colors, most of what you see in my gallery I also inked and colored using Photoshop CS2-still learning the ropes though, also just started playing around with Illustrator to see how digital lettering operates.
I'm interested in working with you someday...Feel I should warn you though that I would best serve you as a penciller, my inking and coloring skills are agonizingly slow paced at present.
Have you ever attended the Canadian Expo up there in Toronto, heard it was a nice con to be at...if so ,what did you think of it?
Lived in western Canada for a very brief period-when I was but a fetus!
Love to visit again, heard it's beautiful up there, and COOLER!
I am definitely a cold weather person....
Let me know what you decide with your project.
Best of luck....
-Shawn Surface
SURFACE ART STUDIOS. ;)

Kelly J. Crawford said...

Hi, Shawn

No, I never made it to the Toronto Expo. Wanted to go, though. Maybe next year.